Sail around the world in a Catamaran with partners. Not timeshare, Not Fractional Ownership, Not Charter, Not Crewing! Full Sailing Parnerships.
Here is a very rough sketch of a plan I have as an aspiring sailor.
What's the plan?
Sail around the world in a Catamaran with partners, preferably another couple or two. Open to only 1 more couple (2-way sharing). And part time chartering. Flexible to arrangements. Approx 2-3 years in total.
Why?
Split the costs, divide and conquer the sailing, watches, maintenance, insurance, marina costs, labour, cleaning, repairs, depreciation, etc.
What about personal independence?
This will be likely TOP OF YOUR MIND. I have thought about this a lot and written a full post on this here.
In short, if you can manage to find partners who are compatible, agree on a more or less similar itinerary, provide good company over long days and months, are entertaining and share fairly. Ordinary things can be so much fun and memorable simply by doing them with the right people. There is a lot of confusion between independence and interdependence.
Please read this here else it will not make sense..
When time frame are you thinking?
In 4 years' time. Start 2023 winter.
What kind of sailing vessel?
A catamaran for me, no yatches. Catamarans are inherent more stable and generally provide far more living space in the main salon, galley and cockpit
https://www.yachtcharters.com.au/catamaran-vs-monohull-how-to-choose/
A three-cabin, three-head layout, with the owners suite occupying an entire hull. Initial choices are between Lagoon 450 and Leopard 45
https://www.12boat.com/en/yachtcomparison/lagoon-450-s-vs-leopard-45
Typical layout: https://www.leopardcatamarans.com/catamarans/leopard-45
Cost?
Very rough estimate / SWAG: New catamaran cost will be around ~ USD $650,000. Per party (2 parties) will be USD $ 325,000. 3 parties will be $215,000. If owners decide to go for a 2-5 year old vessel, its much cheaper.
Insurance per year is 1%-2% approx of the vessel cost. The yearly service and repairs for a 2-5 year old boat in average to above average condition will run between $3,000 – $5,000.
https://www.allatsea.net/true-costs-owning-catamaran/
Estimated Monthly expenses
Likely around $1500-2000 mark from what I can tell.
What is the intended itinerary?
Start with Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Caribbean...then through the Panama canal to the Torres Strait passes through some of the most attractive cruising destinations in the world - the direct route from the Galápagos to the Marquesas and then Tahiti, Easter Island then New Zealand, Australia....open to routes and planning. Approx 2-3 years in total. I am unlikely to continue beyond that. But I have no hard rules.
What happens if the parties fall out mid way?
Detailed and Fair legal agreements will foresee every possibility. Good people become friends not enemies with time. A bond of camaraderie develops in sailing crews and military units. Parties can together sell the catamaran after the 3 years.
My qualifications and profile
I am now learning sailing. I have been a boater in the past. I am a good planner and organizer, with clear goals of sailing when my son goes to University in 2023. I aim to do it for 2-3 years, then sell my share in the catamaran. I am flexible, open and listen to sensible advice. I am a long time diver and amateur astronomer. I am a good cook - Indian and Middle Eastern. Financially I can hold up my side of the bargain with not much difficulty. I am 52, I live in Toronto, Canada
What's the plan?
Sail around the world in a Catamaran with partners, preferably another couple or two. Open to only 1 more couple (2-way sharing). And part time chartering. Flexible to arrangements. Approx 2-3 years in total.
Why?
Split the costs, divide and conquer the sailing, watches, maintenance, insurance, marina costs, labour, cleaning, repairs, depreciation, etc.
What about personal independence?
This will be likely TOP OF YOUR MIND. I have thought about this a lot and written a full post on this here.
In short, if you can manage to find partners who are compatible, agree on a more or less similar itinerary, provide good company over long days and months, are entertaining and share fairly. Ordinary things can be so much fun and memorable simply by doing them with the right people. There is a lot of confusion between independence and interdependence.
Please read this here else it will not make sense..
When time frame are you thinking?
In 4 years' time. Start 2023 winter.
What kind of sailing vessel?
A catamaran for me, no yatches. Catamarans are inherent more stable and generally provide far more living space in the main salon, galley and cockpit
https://www.yachtcharters.com.au/catamaran-vs-monohull-how-to-choose/
A three-cabin, three-head layout, with the owners suite occupying an entire hull. Initial choices are between Lagoon 450 and Leopard 45
https://www.12boat.com/en/yachtcomparison/lagoon-450-s-vs-leopard-45
Typical layout: https://www.leopardcatamarans.com/catamarans/leopard-45
Cost?
Very rough estimate / SWAG: New catamaran cost will be around ~ USD $650,000. Per party (2 parties) will be USD $ 325,000. 3 parties will be $215,000. If owners decide to go for a 2-5 year old vessel, its much cheaper.
Insurance per year is 1%-2% approx of the vessel cost. The yearly service and repairs for a 2-5 year old boat in average to above average condition will run between $3,000 – $5,000.
https://www.allatsea.net/true-costs-owning-catamaran/
Estimated Monthly expenses
Likely around $1500-2000 mark from what I can tell.
What is the intended itinerary?
Start with Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Caribbean...then through the Panama canal to the Torres Strait passes through some of the most attractive cruising destinations in the world - the direct route from the Galápagos to the Marquesas and then Tahiti, Easter Island then New Zealand, Australia....open to routes and planning. Approx 2-3 years in total. I am unlikely to continue beyond that. But I have no hard rules.
What happens if the parties fall out mid way?
Detailed and Fair legal agreements will foresee every possibility. Good people become friends not enemies with time. A bond of camaraderie develops in sailing crews and military units. Parties can together sell the catamaran after the 3 years.
My qualifications and profile
I am now learning sailing. I have been a boater in the past. I am a good planner and organizer, with clear goals of sailing when my son goes to University in 2023. I aim to do it for 2-3 years, then sell my share in the catamaran. I am flexible, open and listen to sensible advice. I am a long time diver and amateur astronomer. I am a good cook - Indian and Middle Eastern. Financially I can hold up my side of the bargain with not much difficulty. I am 52, I live in Toronto, Canada
Comments
Post a Comment